There were a shitload of season premieres on television tonight, and believe me, if you’d collared me two years ago and told me that I’d be psyched about the Fall 2004 TV season, I would have fainted.
Actually, no. I was in such a paralytic state of anxiety-fueled depression that I would have a) been super-psyched that I’d lived that long, and b) utterly relieved to hear that I could care about something like television once again.
But I digress. Lots of shows came out tonight that were shaped or performed by some great people, and since I consider my faithful readers friends, by the transitive property, they’re basically your friends too. So here are the following shows you should be psyched about:
1. Veronica Mars – My high school buddy Dan Etheridge helped bring this one to the screen, and it’s really quite wonderful. The lead actress (Kristin Bell) is offhandedly talented the same way Claire Danes was in “My So-Called Life.” I’m still a bit lost on the plot, which concerns her detective dad and clearing her family name at a vendetta-filled high school, but I’m along for the ride.
2. Lost – We saw a rough cut of this show about four months ago, but I’ll repeat what I said then: top 5 pilots ever. Unfortunately, last night’s pilot only did the first hour (the version we saw was two) and the coolest stuff happens next week. But J.J. Abrams’ (Alias, Felicity) company has pulled off a miracle: I’m dying to know what happens. Plus, they were very nice to me and Tessa, so root for them.
3. Kevin Hill – We haven’t seen this yet, but it’s been getting great reviews, and it co-stars Patrick Breen, a New York actor who may be one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. Totally home-team-pulling for this one.
4. CSI: New York – As far as I can tell, this show is going have a lot of Gary Sinise brooding and not getting enough sleep, but watch out for Eddie Cahill (Rachel’s assistant/boyfriend on “Friends,” also the goalie in “Miracle”) who is playing the young cop heavy who gets to intimidate possible suspects. Eddie is all-world and gets to fuck with a bad guy in the pilot!
5. Law & Order – I miss Jerry Orbach, but you have to pull for Jesse Martin. Jury is still out on Dennis Farina – can he deliver the first-act zinger like Orbach?
“Her babysitting days are over.”
“Maybe he should lay off the horseradish.”
“And I thought my ex-wife was a clunker.”*
*not real Jerry Orbach lines