God knows I hate salacious articles more than most people – it seems like the only pieces getting published these days are ill-thought-out rants with catchy titles (and I should know). However, it’s always awesome when a salacious article gets put out by Psychology Today, and it’s even awesomer when it’s backed up with vague research.
Ten Politically Incorrect Truths About Human Nature is just such an article, the kind of piece that can really fuck up a dinner conversation if that’s what you have in mind. Give it a read, because I’m going to write more about it tomorrow, but I’ll give you the ten statements it proffers right off the bat:
1. Men like blond bombshells (and women want to look like them).
2. Humans are naturally polygamous.
3. Most women benefit from polygyny, while most men benefit from monogamy.
4. Most suicide bombers are Muslim.
5. Having sons reduces the likelihood of divorce.
6. Beautiful people have more daughters.
7. What Bill Gates and Paul McCartney have in common with criminals.
8. The midlife crisis is a myth—sort of.
9. It’s natural for politicians to risk everything for an affair (but only if they’re male).
10. Men sexually harass women because they are not sexist.
After reading this piece, I cut and pasted an entire paragraph, yanked it up to 24-point font, printed it out and stuck it on our bulletin board. I will buy a nice, neat, ancient dram of scotch for anyone who reads the article and can guess the right paragraph. (Hint: I don’t think it’s entirely obvious.)