I guess I’m sexist, sure, in the way that we’re all racist, we’re all shape-ist, and we all make certain assumptions about people who go to Duke. There are a few things that are inescapable, just from having grown up in the ’70s and ’80s and being laden with knee-jerk assumptions left over from other decades. When any of you heard that Eve Carson had been murdered in Chapel Hill, what was your immediate image of her attacker? These ugly habits die very, very hard.
And so we fight against these feelings, right? Some might even veer into overcorrection, and that’s fine too, as it’s failure in the right direction. As for me, I grew up with an incredible respect for women (from my grandmother to my mother, and so on) yet was afflicted with the gene that made me a Chaser of Skirt. And the time came when I had to rectify the two things, and though I’m now married to one of the more powerfully awesome women on the planet, it’s still a work in progress.
But here’s where I draw the line. I am sick and fucking tired of being told my antipathy for Hillary Clinton is sexist. I have read it from magazines I usually love and from writers I usually respect. I’ve heard it in conversations involving the few people left who still support her. It all comes down to the same flogged horse: men like me who can’t stand Hillary just don’t realize just how sexist we really are – we’re so subconsciously chauvinist that we need to be told, again and again, until we lose that “faraway” and “scary” look in our eyes when we think of Obama.
I admit it, having actually done the moral inventory required for true self-knowledge, fully 3% of my contempt for Clinton is based in a buried desire, deep in my amygdala, to bash uppity women with a wooly mammoth femur. But the other 97%? IT’S BECAUSE SHE’S ACTING LIKE A TOTAL FRICKIN’ TOOL!
I’m not going to post links, because this shit’s so easy to find, but this is a person who has cozied up with right-wing media moguls, hemmed and hawed when asked if Obama was Muslim, told half the electorate their states don’t matter, announced that the Republican candidate was better on national defense than the guy in her own party, had the audacity to say Obama was en elitist when she and her husband earned $109 million over the last decade, and is admittedly staying in a race she’s already lost to subvert the will of the people.
In the meantime, McCain’s positives are (temporarily) going up, any meaningful dialogue about the future of this country is being shredded by shenanigans and gossip, and yes, PEOPLE LIKE ME ARE GETTING PISSED OFF ABOUT IT. So anyone out there calling us on our purported sexism: grow the fuck up, and take responsibility for the way your candidate is behaving. Sure, this will all seem like Much Ado when Obama wraps up the nomination, but in the meantime we’ve got Oscar Wilde’s nightmare: the tension is unbearable, and I hope it ends.