Some Thoughts About Being in Chapel Hill for Ten Hours for the Kentucky Game
1. Drove through two blizzards to get here. Forget snow, I had barely seen rain for seven months. All those white flecks in the air, how magical!
2. Chapel Hill is colder than BALLZ. You remember that week when it crept into the low 20s, and you were like “what the fuck? I thought we were in the South?”? This is that week.
3. Kentucky can eat it. The last time I saw us play Kentucky in 1990, both schools had the same number of total wins since their programs had begun eighty years earlier (by the way, what were the astronomical chances of that happening?) and Pete Chilcutt threw an errant ball from the floor to Rick Fox for the last-second win, and the place erupted like I’d never heard, not even for the Dook games.
No such eruptions tonight, but it felt good to wipe away one more “total wins” from their column and add to ours. Their fans are the worst. Gillespie should have known he was entering a toxic situation in Lexington.
4. I can’t believe I drove this morning from the University of Kentucky to UNC, to see UK play UNC at UNC. That’s weird.
5. I never thought freshmen looked that young. When we became seniors, the girls would always remark about the frosh, and how young they seemed. To me, they always looked about right: that is, like uncooked dough. I looked like that too.
6. Sometimes you can tell the UNC fan base’s age just by color alone. The older people in the stands wear that Carolina Blue from the ’70s and ’80s that was actual deep sky blue:
whereas the younger students wear the new Carolina Blue which, to me, has a lot more lavender in it:
(you can guess my preference, but I’m a purist)
7. My nephew Sam took me to his suite on the fifth floor of Hinton James. I could still name about forty of you, and which suites you lived in circa 1986 (yes, you on the 4th, 9th and 10th floors). I went to my old Room 244, which is now 211A, and met the very nice dude living there now. He had a Carolina blue Epiphone guitar with Rameses on it. ROCK!!!