Okay, today’s question stems from the last couple of days’ discussion: what exactly, in your life, do you find actually offensive? It can be words, ideas, or anything that creeps up on a semi-regular basis.
I’m taking out the usual suspects such as Nazis, racists, bigots, homophobes, the “n” word and the “c” word (Brits excepted). I’ve made a point of not being offended by much, but here’s a short list:
1. “retarded”. Ick. I’m with Neva and Ann on this one.
2. Yukons, Denalis, Escalades and other humongous SUVs driven by people not hauling around kids or lumber. I know I gave up my environmentalism on this blog about three years ago, but people who drive those fuckers around still make me vomitous.
3. Republicanism. In all its forms. Perhaps not for conservative-leaning folks personally, but the public face and demeanor of Republicans is a horror freakshow.
4. Relentless Photoshopping of women in print ads. Lucy has shown no interest in the pop culture world, nor the tabloid newsstands, and she has to be dragged to the mall. But we will do everything in our power to give her a positive relationship with her own body.
5. Dahntay Jones, Matt Christiansen and Chris Collins. For obvious reasons.