Wow, so many incredible messages about yesterday’s blog – all for an idea what would never happen in 4.7 million years! I mean, suppose you wanted to save The Rathskellar in its original subterranean location just off Franklin Street. I’m told it has something to do with code, and pipes, and permits.
Are we talking $25,000 that nobody has? Or $1.5 million that nobody has? Forget that you could never hire Squeaky again (is he still among the living?) or that we can’t be 19 again, eating bowls full of cheese. What are the actual brass tacks about getting The Rat online and operational? Given that the restaurant covers alumni from 1948 to 2008, that investment might actually make sense, wouldn’t it?
I mean in the original spot, sewage be damned, not in some bullshit strip mall off Jones Ferry Road that lasts for 18 months before going the way of all things (i.e., yogurt). I want the same tables with our initials scratched into them, with that booth just under the translucent paving glass of the Franklin Street sidewalk.
Because, truly, what’s left that any of us still know?
• Four Corners (not my hangout, but it had its own charm)
• Sutton’s Drug Store (imperative)
• Spanky’s (I know, but, well, it does survive)
• Carolina Coffee Shop (same spot, but bears no resemblance to earlier incarnation)
• Ye Olde Waffle House (I rarely got up in time to actually eat there, since it closed at 11am)
• Mama Dip’s (new location, equally awesome, but a bit far afield)
Is there anything I’m missing, O Ye Heels from the mid-’80s through Dean’s retirement?
at the 2nd of the Cat’s Cradle’s 3 locations, with Chuck B, Nic J, Dave B, Steven C, me, and Pat H… AND MY HAIR WAS AWESOME, HATERS