Nobody will be on the internet for the next four days, so I have a few quick thanks to give before Thanksgiving.
– Thanks to my sister Michelle for letting me be the only one who could stop her crying when she was a baby.
– Thanks to my brother Sean for not freaking out when I got him what I wanted for his eighth birthday (a basketball).
– Thanks to my brother Steve for making me that cool robot costume powered by a six volt battery three Halloweens in a row.
– Thanks to my brother Kent for introducing me to the Odd Bodkins cartoons, the Beatles and XTC.
– Thanks to my dad for the orange Huffy 10-speed bike (Christmas 1979), and for letting me understand that artists are supposed to be paid too.
– Thanks to my mom for the new Peanuts cartoon books she left on my pillow every day after I was beat up at grade school.
– Thanks to Chip for moving back to Chapel Hill in 1991 when my world was falling apart, thanks to Bud for getting me through winter 1992 and his advice about baby powder, and to Jon Vaden for rescuing me that Christmas when my parents were throwing antiques at each other.
– Thanks to Salem for his Clinique 2 1/2 Scrubbing Lotion and his undying energy for all things, and thanks to Annie for our fireside (forced hot air blower) chats.
– Thanks to Scotty for his unwavering character and his excellent advice off the tee. Also to Lars for his endless curiosity and perfectionism.
– Thanks be to Jamie Block for our insane years (1987-2000) and our lucky years (2001-present). Thanks also to Kendall for my first kiss, and her abject loyalty.
– Thanks to Lindsay for his curmudgeonly enthusiasm and for doing everything six months before we do. Also to Matt, Clay and Jon Gray for refining my humor when I was getting complacent.
– Thanks to DB in SF for fighting all good fights, and to everyone from Carolina who has forgiven me for being such a clueless bastard whilst there.
– Thanks to Chapel Hill, New Orleans, Venice (CA) and New York City for lust, debauchery, hope and victory.
– Thanks to all of you who read this blog and have such amazing things to say (Caren, Kmeelyon, Oliver, the Canadian Clique, Piglet, Laurie, Andy, Andrew, Shannon, Tanya, Greg, Carla, flaco, cullen, bozoette, Brent, Kevin, Wendi) and everyone else who is sliding through my fingers because it’s 1:51am. Also to the newcomers for being willing to adopt another blog.
– Thanks to the stunningly great people I have met because of my very significant other: the emotive, heartbreakingly great Laurie and George, the effervescent Nell and salt-of-earth Jesse, razor-sharp Virginia, omniscient Kelly, warm mothering Lorraine and Alex, steadfast Jason and Tim, and super sweet Lee and Suzanne. If you have read thus far and not seen your name, understand that it is only my fault, and I’ll get you next Thanksgiving.
– But my most undying thanks belongs to the sweet love of my life, Tessa Valentine, who is just about the best thing that ever happened to anybody. She is the frosting, the gravy, the warm backrub on a cold night. Nothing is better than our families intermingling, nothing is nicer than the ability to love her, and nothing could express how Thankful I am that she was Given to liking me too.
Tessa and her chowder-headed date